Tuesday 3 November 2015

The importance events

Going to events, such as workshop, seminars, conferences have been making impact in my life and indeed worth learning from, also making me to get in touch with people of calibres, within the country, who have been source of inspiration to me; however my presence at the famous Eko Hotel and Suite for a book launch also adds to my memorable days on earth.

The book titled " Nigeria Media Leader; Voices Beyond News room" and edited by Richard O. Ikiebe, made me believe that God willingly have this day as a plan for me, in which, I was there to represent my boss who was unavoidably absent due to his post and nature of work






Here, it re-adjusts my experience in the journalism profession, which I have chosen, with what I saw and listen to. Though, I was eager to show forth my hunger for the profession, trying to make a kind of scenario, which can bring it to limelight, I was still able to comport myself due to the calibre of people present and other journalists around.

However, apart from the uniqueness of the book which is a compendium of veterans in the industry, the presence of these veterans at the book launch  sent a signal into my mental faculty. Seeing the likes of Former Ambassador to United Kingdom, Dr. Christopher Olukolade, Chief Ajibola Ogunshola (Former Chairman of Punch Newspaper), Femi Adesina (Special adviser to the president, media and publicity), Aremo Segun Osoba (Former Governor of Ogun state), Martin Oloja, Editor, Guardian Newspaper, 

Also present at the event, were veteran journalists, whom their impact in the profession were worth eulogized, Ray Ekpu, Dan Agbese, Muhammed Haruna, Soni and Betty Irabor, Nosa Igiebor, Dr. Doyin Abiola, Sam Amuka, and many more.
also making the bond and love that exist among these veterans goes beyond seeing journalism as a means of livelihood, but the passion and zeal for the profession.

The zeal and passion that exist among these media Icons didn't just happened, there was a course, purpose and focus that brought them together- Freedom!

In spite of the draconic and obnoxious decrees propounded by the military which made some of these erudite of journalism to went into exile, yet, they never relented or gave up  in what they believed.

These media gladiators believed in the power of the pen through the media and they kept on pressing forward until their goal is achieved.

Democracy was the agitation and yearning of these gladiators and this was the factor that brought them together for the decades. The relationship and love that exist among these senior professional colleagues is awesome. 

Interestingly, Aremo Segun Osoba, also a veteran journalist, remarked that journalists help and encourage one and other, the relationship is characterized as brotherly love and affection.

Pondering on the relationship that exist among this group of people, I was left wondering that can this kind of bond and relationship among the upcoming journalists with the advent and proliferation of media especially the social media which has turned the Universe to a global village. 

Based on my own view on these media icons, I hereby posed that, it is time for every present and potential media practitioners to see the practice of Journalism as a passion and not just a means of livelihood.










No comments:

Post a Comment